This study was carried by Analytical Center “Socioconsulting” under the initiative, technical and grant support from USAID “Reform of HIV services in action” in partnership with the State Institution “Center for Public Health at Ministry of Health of Ukraine.”
- Determine the needs in reorganizing duties of health workers engaged in HIV services and collect information for decision-making in this area.
- Study motivators and incentives already in use, or that can be used for health workers in HIV service.
- Develop a mechanism of duties redistribution for piloting at the district level as a part of strengthening HR capacity in HIV service.
The project combined three core components, each of which relates to its goals:
- Analysis of workload at selected sites in seven priority regions (objective 1).
- Formative research on motivators and incentives of health workers in HIV service (objective 2).
- Development and presentation of the schemes of duties redistribution in the provision of HIV services (objective 3).
І. Workload analysis was conducted using the method of photo chronometer research. It helped to define time needed to provide specific HIV-services in various types of health facilities. The total number of respondents observed – 154 people. All in all, 770 observations (observation over 154 respondents x 5 days to observe each).
ІІ. Formative research on motivators and incentives of health workers conducted using the following methods of sociological research:
- semi-structured interviews with medical staff (a total of 600 interviews);
- focus groups with medical staff (a total of 13 FGD);
in-depth interviews with leaders HCF (chief doctors or their deputies on the medical component) (a total of 26 interviews).